The New York Central Dining Car was ordered by the New York Central in 1945 from the Edward G. Budd Company. Building of the car was completed in 1947, where upon the car was put into service as a dining car until 1967 when it was retired to work train service. Learn More!
This car was built in 1946 by ACF (American Car Foundry) for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad as a long distance coach. Later, it was sold to the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad, where it operated in commuter service out of downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Learn More!
The Silver Sword was one of four Cars built by the Budd Car Company in an order for the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad. It was ordered in March 1951 and delivered September/October 1952. The Silver Sword was assigned Car Number CB&Q #4734 as a 50-seat coach for pool service on the CB&Q, its number was changed by Amtrak #5013 in 1971. Learn More!
Our newly acquired Ringling circus car #41406 was built in 1950 by the Budd Company as a 44 seat coach car for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The SP assigned number 2226 to the car and used it in regular service for the next seven or so years. Sometime in the late 1950s, the SP sold the car to the Texas and New Orleans railroad who re-numbered it as car 438. In 1961 the Texas and New Orleans sold the car back to the SP who then assigned it number 2365. Like most Budd built cars, coach #2365 was sold by the SP to Amtrak in late May of 1971 when Amtrak was first formed. Amtrak assigned it number 4413. It served as a coach car on Amtrak through the seventies and then was shopped at Amtrak’s Beechgrove Indiana shops in 1980 where it received full 480 head end power or “HEP”. Sometime around 1980 Amtrak again re-numbered it as 4016 but then retired the car in early 1981. Learn More!
The Cincinnati Dinner Train kitchen car was originally one of a ten baggage car production lot built by the Pullman Standard Car Company in 1960 for the Santa Fe Railroad. These cars were later used to haul theater sets from city to city and coast to coast. In the late sixties the cars were assigned to maintenance of way service by the Santa Fe.
In 1971 Amtrak was formed and all well maintained rail cars from the existing railroads, were bought by Amtrak for use in their service. Although Santa Fe baggage car #3999 was assigned an Amtrak number of #1098, it nor the other nine baggage cars from Santa Fe were ever pressed into Amtrak service as baggage cars. The original Santa Fe number 3999 has been retained and the car has been painted and lettered as it appeared in 1960 when it first served on the Santa Fe. Learn More!
Our car number 1471 that carries the 250 KW diesel powered generator that powers the entire consist, is actually our youngest car by far. This MHC, (Material Handling Car), was built in 1986 by the Thrall Car Company as a batch of cars designed for mail and express service on Amtrak. These cars were similar to express box cars that were ordered by various railroads and by the Railroad Express Agency after WWII for use in high speed passenger trains. Amtrak sold the car to Cincinnatian Curt Potter in 2003 who used it for storage until purchase by Brian Collins and Bill Thomas for use on the Cincinnati Dinner train in 2011. The new owners modified the car to serve as a power car and painted it burgundy with large white letters identifying the dinner train. Learn More!
The GP-30 Locomotive hauling our train today was one of ten locomotives built for the New York Chicago & St. Louis Railway, more commonly known as the “Nickel Plate Road.” This railroad ran from Buffalo west toward St. Louis and Chicago with lines throughout Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and, of course, western New York. The locomotive was delivered to the NKP in November of 1962 and operated as unit 902 until their merger with the Norfolk & Western on October 16th, 1964. At that time the engine was renumbered in the N&W Engine series as #2902. In the late 1980’s, it was retired by the Norfolk Southern, sold to the Great Miami Short Line Railroad, and painted in their burgundy and black colors. It was renumbered as engine #30 as it operated throughout Southern Ohio. In the late 1990’s, the unit was sold to US Rail and moved to Hamblin, Ohio. In early 2012, Cincinnati Railway Company President Brian Collins purchased the locomotive for lease to the Cincinnati Dinner Train. The Great Miami color scheme was retained but the number was changed back to its original #902. Learn More!
Occasionally we will opt to use locomotive #901 which is usually in service on the scenic LM&M Railroad in Lebanon, Ohio. This sister GP-30 locomotive to the #902 was one of ten locomotives built for the New York Chicago & St. Louis Railway, more commonly known as the “Nickel Plate Road.” This railroad ran from Buffalo west toward St. Louis and Chicago with lines throughout Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and, of course, western New York. The locomotive was delivered to the NKP in November of 1962 and operated as unit #901 until their merger with the Norfolk & Western on October 16th, 1964. At that time the engine was renumbered in the N&W Engine series as #2901. In the late 1980’s, it was retired by the Norfolk Southern and sold to the Indiana & Ohio Short Line Railroad, and painted in their red, white and orange colors. It was renumbered as engine #85 as it operated throughout Southern Ohio. In 1995, the unit was sold to the Cincinnati Railway Company and moved to Lebanon, Ohio. In early 2005 the unit was moved to the home rail yard of the Cincinnati Railway in Norwood, Ohio for use in tendering Amtrak compliant private cars “Moonlight Dome”, ”Birch Grove” and “Oliver Hazard Perry” from Norwood to Cincinnati Union Terminal for attachment to Amtrak. In 2009 the unit was painted in original Nickel Plate Road colors and reassigned its original number of #901. Also in 2009 it was put into service pulling the newly founded Cincinnati Dinner Train. Ownership of #901 remains with the Cincinnati Railway Company. Locomotives #901 and #902 are the only two of the original ten produced, to still be in running condition. Learn More!
The Cincinnati Dinner Train is pleased to announce the final addition of the crown of our dinner train jewel, the “Silver Fountain”. The Silver Fountain will be our tail car featuring regular dinner train dining for twenty four people at six four top tables in the forward section of the car and exclusive fine dining for just ten guests in the private lounge area in the rounded rear of the car. The exclusive high end lounge option will feature a slightly different menu, private service and complete exclusivity as guests enjoy dining on two or four top tables or, if leased this way, on one large ten person table. Pullman style chairs are available for guests in the rounded lounge area as they watch the tracks fade away. The restoration is scheduled to be complete sometime in 2019.